Maybe you're not quite world's biggest adventure or maybe you're itching for your next 14-mile day hike. Either way, we've all forgotten essentials on a trip or two regardless of how well we plan. Jesse and I started creating packing lists for each of our adventures, so I thought I'd share our basic day hike list with you today. It works well as a starting point for both simple 2mi treks and difficult 10mi treks.
Packing list for a basic day hike:
- Travel-sized sunscreen
- Travel-sized bug spray (if needed)
- Travel-sized hand sanitizer
- Tissue pack(s)
- A ziplock bag or two (for trash)
- First-aid kit
- Knife or multi-tool
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Hat or bandana
- Mini microfiber towel (if you will be near water - helps to wipe off wet feet, hands, or anything that may accidently get wet)
- Camera - camera batteries, memory cards, lenses
- iPhone + portable battery charger, charging cable
- Trail map(s)
- Water - minimum of 1 liter for each hour. Always bring more than you think you will need or bring a filter pump if you will be near water.
- Prepared sandwich lunch (tip: keep it cool in a small lunch cooler like this)
- Snacks (cliff bars, beef jerky, unsalted nuts, trail mix, nature valley bars, granola, etc)
As always, make sure you look up conditions in the area of where you will be hiking. Bring the proper equipment, gear, and/or clothing necessary depending upon the weather or situation. This list is structured to be a guide to build off of for each of your hikes.
Here's some in-action photos for your enjoyment.
The photo on the left is of me at the start of a day hike in Paria Canyon, Utah. I found the stick nearby to help me avoid quicksand. Definitely not a recommended hike for new adventurers, haha!
The photo on the right is of me hiking the Upper Yosemite Falls Trail in Yosemite National Park, California. I brought a giant bottle of sunscreen for some reason, not sure why.
The photo below is my fiancee's pack. Yes, his set-up is way more glamorous than mine! He usually carries the lunch cooler while I carry the snacks.